Friday, April 25, 2014

2 More Days until the Adventure Begins!

I am so pumped to start blogging again and share the crazy things that are bound to happen while living and interning in Orlando!


I can’t believe I leave in 2 days. It feels like yesterday I was withholding screams when I read the email in the library that I was accepted into the Disney College Program (DCP), even though that was back in October. Time flies.


There is nothing really to post right now since I haven’t left yet, but there is one cool story I want to share.

I have been accepted to the DCP with the role of a lifeguard. I have never been a lifeguard, and the last time I swam was in 7th grade, when I tried out to be on the swim team. I was so bad that they said, “You should probably join the kiddie league first”, and I never went back.


For 7 months, I have said to myself, “I can totally learn how to swim. I’ve got this”, and I never practiced. Finally, when I had 17 days left, my dad was kind enough to talk some sense into me and tell me that I needed to actually get in the pool and practice. Anxiously, I got in and realized that I was the worst swimmer in the world. I wouldn’t even call myself a swimmer, more like a drowner. That’s not even a word, I know. That’s how bad I was. I started to get really anxious that I wouldn’t be able to pass the 200 meter lifeguard test in less than 3 weeks. 


I started practicing every day, and every time I would see someone swimming with a cap and goggles on that looked like they knew what they were doing, I would ask, “Soo.. Do you have any good tips on how to swim?” And they would take me under their wing and try to fix my horrible swimming. Thankfully, I had a swim lesson from a friend, which really helped, but I still wasn't close to swimming 200 meters.

Last Saturday night I finally broke down. All I wanted to do was give up. I knew I wouldn’t be able to pass the test in time; why should I waste my breath (no pun intended) and go all the way to Florida just to fail? I asked my mom and dad if they would fast with me Sunday that I could learn to swim in time, and they said yes.

Guess what? I swam a 200 last night!!! I didn’t say I did it without a few breaks of swimming on my back, but I did it! I know that I wouldn’t have been able to do it without the help from a loving God who cares. If he cares about me trying to swim 200 meters, I’m positive he cares about all of us and every detail of our lives.


If you have been to Florida, comment and tell me the things I have to do while I’m there!

If you have been to Disney World, share your favorite restaurant or random thing to do! 

And, in the words of Ellie Fredricksen,









No comments:

Post a Comment