Sunday, May 4, 2014

I love Florida.
What a week!! I feel like I have been here for two months already, but it’s only been 6 days! I hope time goes super slow while I’m here, but I know it’s gonna fly by.
Here is a recap of my crazy fun week!
On Wednesday I went to my swim test that was rescheduled because of the crazy storm a couple days before. Drum roll……… I PASSED! Thank heavens. That would have been embarrassing if I failed. Now that the stress of possibly failing the test is over, I am thrilled about my role and can’t wait to start working at Typhoon Lagoon! I’ll be doing shallow water lifeguarding there. I am beyond excited. My goal is to come back and have none of you recognize me because I am so tan. ;)
Later that day we had a housing welcome meeting. We still hadn’t received our ID’s at this point. My roommate who came a few months earlier hadn’t used her free passes yet, and she invited me and my other 2 roommates to come with her to Hollywood Studios with her! Unfortunately, it started pouring rain right as we were about to get on the bus, so instead we did some shopping at the outlet malls. It was so fun going to all the stores that we couldn’t afford. ;) They do have a fabulous Forever 21, though. Holy cow.
Here’s a tip for anyone interested in doing the Disney College Program, or anyone about to come do the program. Dye your hair one color. My hair wasn’t all the same color, so I had to go get it dyed. Now I am a blonde! And duh, we do have more fun.
On Thursday, we had Traditions at Disney University. We learned lots of cool new things, got to go through some of the tunnels at Magic Kingdom, and Mickey Mouse came in and gave us our nametags!!!! That was a magical moment. And then, another CP (college program) moment, we got our ID’s. Hallelujah. We then booked it back to Magic Kingdom to play the rest of the day. Not that we needed to make a run for it; we have almost 4 months to play!
We had the next day off, so me and my three friends, Ashley, Clayton, and Maddie, spent the day at Hollywood Studios. It was super rainy all day, but that made it more fun! And the lines were a lot shorter, so I am not complaining there.
Friday was another day of training, and this one was more specific to our roles. I am the only lifeguard in the group of people who arrived April 28 (which is almost all BYU kids), so I went to training for lifeguards with other cast members who are not CP’s. Next week, instead of going to training at Disney University, I’ll have training at Mickey’s Retreat (it’s a place with a lake, pools, and areas to play sports and relax). I’m excited!
Life outside Utah is soooo different. I’m sure all of you who have spent your lives outside of Utah are more than aware of this, but this is my first time living outside of Utah (except when I lived in Arizona, but that was until I was 6. It doesn’t really count). I am definitely in the minority. I am continually surprised at how different my lifestyle is from other people. During my lifeguard training, our teacher talked about how important it is that we do not show up to work drunk, and that we don’t spend all night up partying if we are working an opening shift. I was like well duh! No dip!
 The one thing that surprises me the most is how many people smoke here. It’s crazy. People! Smoking kills you! And then there is the climate. Florida is so stinkin awesome. I love how green it is, all the palm trees, and the humidity! The humidity is not that bad. I was prepared for the worst, but it is lovely! My skin is the softest it’s ever been, and now my naturally super curly hair can be free! Even though the majority of everyone I interact with live completely different lifestyles, I love being here. I can’t wait to get through training and actually start lifeguarding at the parks. It’s gonna be the greatest summer ever!
Have a magical day!
OH and… May the fourth be with you. :)
 
 
 
 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment