Friday, August 22, 2014

Wow. I can’t believe it’s already over. My Disney College Program is over!! “Inconceivable!!”

I feel like so much happened my last 2 weeks of my program, I don’t even know where to start. Of course, I went to every park one last time. Looking back on my program, I didn’t go to the parks all. the. time. I thought I would be Disney obsessed and cry like a baby when I had to say goodbye to the parks, but so far I’m doing okay. Of course I miss having something fun to do whenever I want (for free I might add, with free transportation. Boy did I have it good), and I made so many fun memories, but I miss lots of other things about Florida more.

Ok, rewind. I feel like my thoughts are all jumbled up right now. Let me go in chronological order of the things I wanna talk about.
First item of business. My hair.

When I first came out to Florida, I had to dye my hair all one color because it wasn’t “Disney look”. I dyed it all blonde, and then it got blonder throughout the summer from being outside 24/7. A few weeks before I went to California to see my family, I dyed my hair blonde with a box and it turned out great! Then it grew out so I had to dye it again. Woof. It turned out HORRIBLE. Literally people, it was orange. ORANGE. Oh my lanta, thank heavens I was required to wear a hat to work. I waited a day and then my dear friend Maddie said, “Oh honey, it’s so bad. Let me fix it”, and at 3am we went to Walmart and bought another box. We got it to look not so orange, but it kinda didn’t have a color for a while. Today I am proud to say that my hair is no longer in the “yikes” or “oh honey” category, but looks semi-presentable. CP moments people.

I love all my Typhoon Lagoon cast members heaps and heaps. I miss them all so much. I got really lucky because I got to work in a park that had a lot of cast members who did the same job (lifeguards), and it was small enough that I got to know the whole park really well, BUT it was also not too small. It was perfect. I loved that I got to know so many people at work- sometimes people have really small groups that they get to work with. GAH I just miss it so much just typing this!! But at the same time I am happy to be home. So many mixed emotions.

One of my favorite days at the parks EVER was the day Ash and I went to Epcot. I hadn’t really given Epcot much of a chance, and then we went on 4th of July and I fell in love with the park. We walked around the World Showcase and explored every inch of it. I don’t know how to explain it, but that day was a dream. We spent the whole day dreaming about the lives we want to have, the places we want to travel together, and absorbing everything about the park. We are traveling Europe togeza, there’s no question about it.

Our graduation service celebration was so….. fun? Here’s what happened.
I’m an idiot.

When you hear the word “graduation”, you think nice dress right? When it’s outside and you’re in Florida, you’re WRONG. I dragged Ashley into wearing pencil skirts and nice shirts to graduation. HA. First off, we were the only ones dressed like that- everyone else had the common sense I lacked and wore sun dresses or shorts (this is my public apology to you Ashley, you were so right and I was so wrong). We had to wait in the longest line known to mankind to check in so we could get our graduation ears and food. People. Never ever wear a pencil skirt and button down shirt when the humidity is over 80%. You will DIE. Needless to say, we didn’t stay at graduation very long.









After I sat in my ice box of a room for an hour and changed into summer appropriate clothing, Maddie and I went to the Florida Mall to get her ears pierced and try on clothes that we couldn’t afford. The Florida Mall is lovely. I’m happy that I was able to go before I left. I had this huge long list of things that I swore I was going to do before I left, including:
-          Universal Studios
-          Busch Gardens
-          Clearwater Beach
-          Visit Miami
-          Florida Keys
Silly Jessie, (Trix are for kids) you have no money and therefore cannot do all those things. But honestly, it’s ok. I am not upset that I didn’t get to complete my list. There was so much to do at all the parks that it kept me busy.

My last week of work was absolutely crazy. I worked a lot, played a lot, slept little aaand got myself sick. Oh well. It was worth it. On my last day of work, I had work from 6:30am-3, which meant I had to take a bus at 5:30, which meant to be up at 5. What time did I go to bed you ask? 3am. For the second night in a row. Ugh. I’m tired just thinking about that day. My last day of work was really great! I had in service training in the morning, where we practiced rescue scenarios in and out of the water, practice CPR, and guest situations. We had a great group, and our practice scenarios were so farfetched it was hilarious (we pretended there was a birthday party and someone accidentally cut their fingers off with the knife and we had to respond. First of all, has anyone ever cut off their fingers while cutting a birthday cake? Also, who is cutting birthday cake at Typhoon Lagoon?). Then we did some water rescue stuff, and after we rode the slide! Best way to start work. I have ridden every ride at work during in service, not as a guest. Lines are overraaaaated.


Typhoon Lagoonee and Splashley


My last actual shift was so chill. Every time I saw a lifeguard or coordinator walking past I yelled, “Hey!! This is my last day ever!!!!” because it was a momentous day. After my shift was over and I said goodbye to everyone, walking to the bus didn’t feel real. I still can’t believe that this summer has come and gone so fast. I remember one of the first times we took the bus to get back home, and we had no idea what we were doing. We hopped on the first bus we saw like the rookies we were, and ended up taking the wrong bus that would take an hour to get us home, instead of 10 minutes.

After I finished my last shift of work, what did I do? Bought ice cream and a cookie and made myself sicker of course! I had to celebrate, I had no choice. Ash and I got ready then we headed over to Epcot to get a treat at France then headed over to Magic Kingdom. Something you should know about me- I cry at weird things. I am a MAJOR sympathetic crier, and I am sad to say that every time I see Kim Kardashian cry on TV, I tear up and have to look away. I can’t help it! (Side story- one time I was at the gym on the bike, and I was watching Keeping up with the Kardashians. Kim started crying, and I started tearing up and got emotional while on the bike. Pathetic.)

Anyways, back to the real story. I didn’t know how emotional I would be my last night at Magic Kingdom. Every time my family left Disneyland after the fireworks I was always a mess.

We got on the Monorail, and as soon as I looked out the window and saw that big beautiful Florida sky, I started crying… While there were 12 other people crammed in the monorail car with us. Oh well. Instead of taking a second Monorail over to Magic Kingdom, we decided to take the more scenic view and rode the ferry boat. Great idea and bad idea. It is absolutely gorgeous!! But it made me cry more because I realized how much I was going to miss this beautiful State. I wasn’t even crying that I wouldn’t be able to go to the parks anymore, I have just loved living in Florida!

Any who, after I got myself together, we headed over to ride Splashley’s ride one more time before we were going to watch Wishes at 10. We got on Splash Mountain, all excited, and 3 minutes into the ride, it stopped. And then we waited. And waited. And waited. And then…we had to evacuate. So we missed the fireworks, AKA, our closure for our Disney College Program. I am really hamming this up. So after we evacuated, we decided to create some unconventional closure. We went to the gift shop and took ridiculous pictures, and then we went and sat right in front of the castle to watch the second “Celebrate the Magic” show. We seriously had perfect seats. Afterward, we decided that I needed to take care of my cold, so we went to Main Street and got ice cream. DeLICIOUS.






After watching our favorite show, Philharmagic, we went back to Splash Mountain to actually ride the ride since it was fixed. We almost had the whole log to ourselves! There was no one on the ride.

We were so tired that leaving the park was not that emotional. All I wanted to do was go home and sleep. The next day we were supposed to be picked up at 1:45 for our flight at 4, so what did I do? I waited until 12:30 to start packing of course! I don’t think I have ever been so stressed out! 20 minutes before our friend was supposed to pick us up, he called us and said he got in an accident. WHAT. How does this happen. Thankfully, Ash’s friend didn’t have to work so she took us, and we made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare. Phew!

It felt soooo weird coming home. It felt like Florida had never happened- which thankfully isn’t true. Although I was sad to leave all my amazing friends and the wonderful people I met, it is good to be home. I am so blessed to have a great new job that I love that pushes me to learn new skills and act in a more professional way. I am excited to continue on with school and make my way (sometimes what feels tortoise-like) toward graduation.

I love to take every experience and learn every life lesson I possibly can. You can imagine how great Florida was for that. I learned so much about myself, what I want in life, and who I want to become. I learned so much from living in a new place and working and living with people from all over the world. It was truly a unique experience. Out of all the many life lessons I learned (that are all documented in my journal!) the biggest lesson I learned is this: I can accomplish any dream that I have, no matter how big. Truly. I now KNOW that I can do anything I set my mind to, and that my big dreams can come true if I never give up and work hard for them. That might sound a little Disney and cheesy, but I truly believe that.

I am so excited about the future and about life! I have a loooot more things on my list that I want to do. And I plan on accomplishing each one. For now, the next 7 month adventure will be surviving and thriving in school. I’ll be sure to keep y’all updated on any major things worth sharing. I’ll end with my favorite quote, and that is:

“Adventure is out there!”


Thank you so much for reading!









No comments:

Post a Comment