Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Week 1: HEY FAMBALY

Hey everyone! I hope you guys are all doing great. I hope you aren't too sad still. I miss you guys but it's good that I'm here.

So we said goodbye and I walked through the doors and the INSANITY BEGAN. I got my name tag and put it on and I was like oooo I'm a seeester now! And then I got some packet stuff and then the host sister took me to my residence hall to drop my stuff off. The room has 6 beds in it and so far I was the first to drop everything off. She took me to my classroom and I met my beloved companion, Sister Pincock. She's literally the nicest person on the planet, and I'm not just saying that. She is so nice, caring, excited to learn, and she laughs at my jokes which is huge cuz they're usually dumb. I totally thought I was going to have a companion like the german companion on the movie "Sisters in Zion", so I am THRILLED to have a companion that's pumped to be here.

We were supposed to be in a trio and the other sister never came, which is too bad. We are actually the only sisters in our district, and our zone, so guess who is the new sister training leader?!?!?!??!? Lolz. We'll get more sisters this Wednesday so that will be good. For Relief Society this Sunday it will be just me and my comp and then branch presidency sisters. Lolz. But those ladies are super awesome and fun so it will be great.

The Elders are.... young. Every time the inevitable question of "how old are you" gets brought up within our district, zone, or meeting other elders, they all just kind of give me this look when I say I graduated in 2011 or I'm 22. It's kind of funny. This elder in my district started talking about girls and said, "Ya know, I just really like my white girls" and I was like, "So elder how do you feel your mission is going so far?" So far Sis Pincock and I have been given the name "Sisters from the hood" because of both our swag and swerve.

On our first night we had a ton of missionaries come together and we all acted as one large companionship and tried to answer this investigator's questions. It was a disaster on our part because everyone's answers were all over the place, but it was a really good learning experience. The pattern I learned is you need to ask questions, LISTEN, teach, and testify. Das it. There was one point when this investigator had made a comment and an elder grabbed the mic and said, "oh my gosh I have a funny story that totally goes with that" and then he shared the story and then we heard crickets as we waited for the reason he shared that story. And there was none.

In our district there is 1 comp of sisters (us), 1 comp of elders, and 1 trio. On our first night we were all leaving to follow the zone leaders down the stairs to go on a tour of the MTC, and one of the elders in the trio all of a sudden went missing. They found him at McDonalds with all his luggage, I kid you not. So now we have 6 people in our district. Kinda crazy. But people have their agency, and I'm happy that all the everyone in our district is happy to be there.

I actually really like my district. Everyone has opened up a lot more and we are all pretty good friends.We got really lucky and have some really great teachers who really care. I've been learning a lot even in the past 2 days.

ERMERGERSH THERE IS A SPECIAL ROOM FOR PEOPLE WITH FOOD ALLERGIES I CAN'T EVEN. It is amazing. Not only do they have refrigerated food in there but they also have hot meals that don't have anything in them. It's amazing. The foods not that bad, but then again I'm only here 12 days.

Mom, I really regret not playing piano. I regret even more saying I play the piano because now I'm playing the piano for sacrament. So hopefully I don't botch that up!

Yesterday was great. We had gym time and there are 2 gyms- one with courts and a track and then the fitness center with weights. I found another sister who really wanted to do weights too so we went on splits and worked out together. Ugh it was so much fun. And then we all played lightning on the court and I am embarrassed at how much fun I had. On Sunday we are going on a Sunday walk to the Provo temple and I'm like OH MY GOSH SUNDAY WALK FREE TIME YAS!! It's hilarious how I am literally so excited about going on a walk. I love the MTC though. The schedule is super great and super busy, holy cow. And now my comp and I are in charge of more stuff cuz we are sister training leaders but it's good too! OH and she is going to Bakersfield too!! There are some other elders we found that are going to Bakersfield too but they aren't in our district. They are probably scared of me because when I found out they were going to Bakersfield I lost my head because I was so excited.

And I've already had dreams about being a missionary. I had a dream last night that I was doing Obama's laundry and then I realized I was breaking the rules because I didn't have a companion with me. Then I ran into some guy and he said, "Oh you're a missionary? What's your purpose?" And I said, "Well my purpose is to invite others to come"-- and then I woke up myself up because I was talking in my sleep.

Anyways I'm doing great, love you all and CTR!


Sister Harmon




No comments:

Post a Comment